Tex Mex Macaroni Cheese by Danny Kingston
Cooking Time: 1 hour 0 mins Prep time: 10 mins
Chilli Cheese Sauce
600ml of whole milk
1 onion, sliced
1 bay leaf
30g of butter
30g of plain flour
200g of mature cheddar, grated
150g of Emmental, grated
1 tbsp of English mustard
2 tbsp of Encona Mexican Smokey Jalapeno Sauce
150g of bacon lardons
500g of macaroni pasta
150g of breadcrumbs
freshly ground black pepper
oil, for frying
1) Add the milk, sliced onion and bay leaf to a large pan and bring up to gentle simmer. Remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 10 minutes before straining through a sieve into a jug then set aside.
2) Add a splash of oil to a frying pan and place over a medium heat. Gently fry the bacon lardons until cooked through but not crispy. Tip on to a plate and set aside.
3) In another large saucepan bring plenty of water up to the boil and add the macaroni. Turn down the heat a touch and cook the pasta for 10 minutes, or as per the packet instructions.
4) While the pasta is cooking, add the butter for the sauce to a pan and melt down over a medium heat. Whisk in the flour to form a roux and cook out for 1–2 minutes before gradually adding the infused milk, whisking continuously to create a smooth, thick sauce.
5) Stir in the mustard and both grated cheeses, followed by the Encona Mexican Smokey Jalapeno Sauce.
6) Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
7) Drain the cooked pasta through a colander and mix into the cheese sauce, breaking up any clumps that stick together. Stir in the bacon lardons and adjust the seasoning to taste.
8) Transfer to a large casserole or baking dish and scatter over the breadcrumbs. Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until the top is golden and crisp.